Central New York Veterans Outreach Center
The Central New York Veterans Outreach Center (CNYVOC) is the signature program of UCD. In September 2008, UCD began occupancy of the former YMCA building at 726 Washington Street in downtown Utica. By December 2008, veterans' services are being offered at the site's new Central New York Veterans Outreach Center.
CNYVOC is in the process of creating a resourceful, one stop facility in Utica for veterans residing throughout Central New York. When complete this facility would offer, among other services, transitional housing for homeless veterans with permanent housing for disabled and elderly veterans, plus a wide variety of other services.
Case managers at the CNYVOC have been serving the veteran population since the start of the organization in 2007. Since then, the CNYVOC has collaborated with VA HUD-VASH, local representatives of the US Department of Veterans Affairs, the local Departments of Social Services, Catholic Charities, and other supporting agencies to support local Veterans and their families. The CNYVOC services the counties of Oneida, Herkimer, Madison and Otsego.
Services that can be found at the CNYVOC include:
- Case Management - Case Managers, VA Social Workers, and the NYS Department of Labor work together to coordinate services on behalf of Veterans and their families in the areas of housing assistance, health care, and employment to assure the appropriate information is provided to individuals in an effort to coordinate the delivery of direct services to clients and their families.
- Referrals to Legal Assistance - Referrals made to Legal Aid on behalf of Veterans by Case Managers can help to expedite assistance on legal matters.
- Referrals to V.A. Benefits - VA Representation is available at the Center on a weekly basis. VA Social Workers can enroll all qualifying Veterans in healthcare services through the VA and help them to access many other services which they may be eligible for.
- Food Pantry - Open during regular business hours, Monday thru Saturday to all Veterans.
- Donation Room - Furniture, clothing, medical equipment and household items are available to Veterans and their families. Open during regular business hours, Monday thru Saturday.
- Free Internet Access - Free internet access from within our facilities.
- Thrift Store - A thrift store operated by the Parkway Senior Center (PSC) of Utica, is now open. Profits from the thrift store are shared between the CNYVOC and the PSC.
- Transportation - A wheelchair accessible van is available to transport Veterans to and from the Rome VA Clinic and Syracuse VA Hospital.
- Housing - SSVF is a housing first program in which the main priority is placing homeless Veteran's in housing. Other services include case management, assistance with VA benefits, employment, legal aid, and supportive services.